A Scottish couple, Mr. & Mrs. John Rae immigrated to Canada in 1885 for the purpose of preaching the gospel. They settled in High Bluff, MB where Mr. Rae traveled from house to house with a horse and buggy, spreading the story of Jesus and His love for sinners. Some received the message and were baptized in the Assiniboine River. Eventually on August 21,1904 a small group began to meet as an assembly of believers in nearby Portage.
They first met in the home of a Mrs. Crake on 5th Street NW. In 1906 the church moved into a rented room on Saskatchewan Avenue. After using several other rented buildings, in 1937 the congregation built its own gospel hall at the corner of First Street NW and Lorne Avenue. Renovations were undertaken there over the years. That location served as the home of the church until the move to River Road in 2016.
Special programs for the community have routinely been arranged for children and adults alike. Over the years, thousands of people have heard the gospel message using these means. Outgrowth resulted in the formation of the church now meeting at Fifth Avenue Gospel Hall. The church also has developed a strong ongoing interest in world missions.
The literature ministries of Seed Sowers, Via Magazine and Postal Bible Studies are supported.